Many people associate a rain sound with sweet sleep sessions, enhanced concentration, and increased peace of mind. Why so? Well, rain pours down so naturally and effortlessly, more like in the way we all would want our lives to be—natural and effortless.
It refreshes the environment, and so does it wash away our fears and anxieties, ushering optimism into our lives and awakening our underlying happiness. As a consequence, the sound of rain brings about these positive feelings, among others:
The physical and physiological impact of rain on people
- Rainy days give you solace when you are bothered by past traumatic events, and that stimulates your mental strength; it gives you a new lease on life.
- The sound of thunder on a stormy day is a magical, powerful force that makes you feel protected from any malicious external forces. It allows you to live in the present, undisturbed.
- Waking up to a freezing cold rainy day arouses your inner warmth and fighting spirit. It eliminates all your anxieties and motivates you to concentrate on your strengths rather than weaknesses.
- Water is life. Rain brings water and, by extension, continuity of life. The sound of rain, therefore, renews your hopes of continuous growth.
- Rain empathizes with your emotions, sad or joyful. It is the friend that no human can be in times of depression. It calms you down and gives you the assurance that you aren’t alone.
- Watching the lightning flash so effortlessly outside and listening to the powerful sound of thunder helps you appreciate the fact that some forces or situations are too strong to contend with. It reminds you to only worry about the things that you can control and to coexist with those that you can’t. That’s the surest way of leading a stress-free life.
The sound of rain: How it enhances your productivity at work
The power of the sound of rain is so immense that it dwarfs all distracting sounds in the atmosphere. This explains why you are able to concentrate at work more during rainy days than on any other day.
But how different are rain sounds from distractive sounds?
Well, rain sounds are usually monotonous, calm, and even, and when their intensity changes, it happens so subtlety that you can’t even notice. Other sounds are the direct opposite of that: their tonal variations are irregular, they originate from different areas, and can sometimes be irritating.
When working alongside the sounds of rain, therefore, you become calm, collected, and your focus is narrowed down to only the things that matter. That’s why you get more done.
The Sound Of Rain: How It Helps You Sleep
Rain sounds – non-threatening sounds
According to Orfeu Buxton, an associate professor of bio behavioral health at Pennsylvania State University, rain sounds fall under the category of non-threat sounds. These are the sounds that calmly whisper in your sleep, assuring you that all is well.
The intensity of rain sounds rises and falls smoothly and in a rhythmic manner, unlike the threat noises (car horns, phone ringtones, screams, flushing toilets, etc.) whose volume rises from nothing within a microsecond.
The last thing you want to hear in your sleep is a threat noise, as it instantly wakes you up. That’s where the non-threatening sound of rain comes in: It blocks all the threat noises so that they don’t wake you up, and then it creates a soothing, rhythmic sound to help you relax and have an undisturbed sleep.
Besides being mesmerizing, the sound of rain takes away your fears and helps you to live a more fulfilling life. Each falling raindrop is an agent of a peaceful and relaxing atmosphere—an indication of good things to come.